Museum of Arts & Sciences History
The Museum of Arts & Sciences is a not-for-profit educational institution founded in 1955 and chartered by the State of Florida in 1962. The Museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums and is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. Programs are sponsored in part by the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs, the Florida Arts Council, the National Endowment for the Arts and the County of Volusia.
- Museum collections and research include Cuban and Florida art, American Fine and Decorative arts, European Fine and Decorative arts, pre-Columbian and African artifacts, Pleistocene fossils, Florida history and regional natural history.
- The Museum houses changing arts and sciences exhibition galleries, permanent collection galleries, a gallery of American art, paintings, decorative arts and furniture.
- The Cuban Foundation Fine and Folk Art Museum contains one of the largest collections of Cuban Art outside of Cuba. This rich gallery was reinstalled in 1995 with the inclusion of pre-Columbian Taino pottery and Spanish Colonia artifacts in silver, rare woods and tortoiseshell.
- The state-of-the-art Planetarim is a 94-seat facility housed in a beautifully designed new building. The 40 ft. diameter dome structure and sound system changes the whole experience for viewers as they engage in the wonders of the universe. The Planetarium features a brand new OmniStarTM digital projector which expands the Planetarium's capabilities significantly. Besides star shows, the Planetarium also has the ability to play full-dome HD movies of all types and genres. The new Planetarium opened in August of 2014.
- The Anderson C. Bouchelle Center for Decorative Arts contains such objects as Russian enamels, French gilt bronze, and American Brilliant Period Glass.
- The Abraham and Dorothy Frischer Sculpture Garden is a 2.5 acre exhibit which holds works by major contemporary sculptors.
- The 24,000 square-foot Root Wing opened in October 2001 and houses the Root Family Museum which encompasses 20th century American culture and technological artifacts relating to the history of Coca-Cola. The Root Family Museum also contains a Train Station that includes two rail cars and a railroad exhibit that gives great insight into the lives of early American industrialists.
- The Kim A. Klancke, M.D. and Marsha L. Klancke Environmental Education Complex in Tuscawilla Preserve opened in Spring 2005. Nature trails throughout the 90-acre preserve in adjacent Tuscawilla Park are maintained by MOAS.
- In association with the Nature Conservancy, MOAS owns and operates Gamble Place, a 150-acre preserve featuring the "cracker-style" house built by James Gamble (of Proctor & Gamble) in 1907. Gamble Place is located at 1819 Taylor Road in Port Orange, Florida.
- The Charles and Linda Williams Children's Museum opened in 2008 and is the first hands-on science center in Volusia County. This 9,300 square-foot space houses more than fifteen professionally designed interactive exhibits, geared especially toward children, that demonstrates various principles of science, engineering, and physics.
- The Helene B. Roberson Visible Storage Building is a state-of-the-art, 4,400 square-foot addition to the Museum, storing and displaying important works from the Museum's collection in a glass-fronted, open storage format. It is the only such facility for art and decorative art objects in Florida.
- The Kenneth Worcester Dow and Mary Mohan Dow Gallery of American Art is a 4,000 square-foot exhibition interpreting and presenting, in historical context, 300 years of American painting, sculpture, pewter, silver, period furniture and decorative arts.
- The impressive 13-foot tall skeleton of the Eremotherium laurilardi or Giant Ground Sloth was exavated in 1975 and dates back approximately 130,000 years. The Volusia County Giant Ground Sloth is the best preserved and most complete fossil of this species in North America and has made its home at The Center for Florida History of MOAS for the past 30 years.
- The William and Helena Schulte Gallery of Chinese Art showcases 84 objects from the Museum's collection, including large interpretive panels on Chinese history and society. T'ang and Wei horses, Han and Ming tomb figures, Ch'ing gemstone carvings and Ming blue and white objects are among the many other cultural items.
- The Cici and Hyatt Brown Museum of Art is home to the most extensive collection of Florida art in the world. The 26,000 square foot Museum features a collection of Florida themed oil and watercolor paintings dating back to the early 1800's. The collection consists of over 2,600 paintings. The size and scope of the collection lends itself perfectly to illustrating the many stories that can be told about the geography and natural history of Florida. The Cici and Hyatt Brown Museum opened on February 8, 2015.
- The newly rebuilt West Wing of the Museum opened on October 30, 2015. This expansive wing of MOAS is home to the Cuban Foundation Museum, the Karshan Center of Graphic Art, the Gillespy Gallery featuring African artifacts, the Marzullo Gallery featuring weaponry from around the world, and the Prehistory of Florida Gallery. The West Wing was originally built on a dip in the property and flooded in May 2009 due to heavy rains. The Museum was able to obtain FEMA funding that was matched in part by a Volusia County ECHO Grant and funding from the Museum to make reconstruction possible.